Flim is a motion of images expressing thoughts and ideas. Flim Industry has grown to another level using various technologies. Many Legendary technicians have contributed to the cinema industry. Flim industry is estimated to be worth around 1 trillion dollars. Advancement in the computer industry has paved the way for many animations and graphical content development. The first film was created in 1887 by Eadweard Muybridge with a runtime of 2.11 seconds which was technically called a film.
Many international theatres and studios have been developed for experiencing visual drama content. Entertainment has become the part and parcel of life. Many films have created a strong impact on individual life. Crazy Rich Asians by Jon M. Chu, Green Book by Peter Farrelly, A Private War by Matthew Heineman, Leave No Trace by Debra Granik, Shoplifters by Hirokazu Kore-eda , Three Identical Strangers by Tim Wardle, Science Fair by Cristina Costantini and Darren Foster, Ben is Back by Peter Hedges are the few films which have a very strong revolutionary message. If you’re a film enthusiast you should add these films in your bucket list
Artificial intelligence and machine learning have become a handy tool for creating television series and films nowadays. Advancement in films has explored the various genre of films. films in recent days have reached a milestone in creating space-related films like Interstellar to creating an alien-like avatar. Many international stages have been created to support and recognize best films with an inspiring script.
Oscar awards and golden globe are one of the few highly celebrated awards around the globe. Along with that, every year the film festival is celebrated to engage talents from various parts of the world. In this article, I’ll discuss the top 20 most iconic 80s movies which have gained positive response and celebrated around the globe.
1. Jean de Florette
Jean de Florette is a French film directed by Claude Berri, produced by Pierre Grunstein
Alain Poiré. Story of the film is written by Claude Berri, Gérard Brach and Marcel Pagnol. The film is based on the story of two farmers who have planned to trick the newcomers from their newly inherited property. Flims was released during late 1986 which was once of the most expensive films ever made during that time.
It was one of the most enjoyed films of both domestically and internationally. Jean de Florette was displayed in the international film festival awards gaining much attention from the various parts of the world.
Who Are The Cast Included in Jean de Florette?
- Yves Montand as César Soubeyran,
- Daniel Auteuil as Ugolin,
- Gérard Depardieu as Jean Cadoret,
- Élisabeth Depardieu as Aimée Cadoret.
Jean de Florette Trailer
2. Das Boot
Das Boot is a Geman film released in 1981 based on the west German war directed by Wolfgang Petersen, produced by Günter Rohrbach. Flim is based on the Lothar-Günther Buchheim’s 1973 German novel of the same name, which explains the struggles and hard life faced during the war. It gives information about the patronage and country spirit of the individual soldier in acquiring the global countries and the leadership of a great leader.
Flim is produced with a whopping budget of 32 million US dollars. The film was widely spoken for its high budget and became a commercial success gaining around 85 million US dollars. Columbia Pictures came forward and released both the German version and English dubbed version in the United States. As expected the German version of the film gained much higher profit than the English version of the film. Flim was widely recognized and nominated for six Academy Awards. Petersen one of the main cast of the film received two wards from the nomination. He was also nominated to BAFTA Award and DGA Award.
Who Are The Cast Included in Das Boot?
- Jürgen Prochnow as Kapitänleutnant,
- Herbert Grönemeyer as Leutnant,
- Klaus Wennemann as Chief Engineer,
- Hubertus Bengsch as 1st Watch Officer,
- Martin Semmelrogge as 2nd Watch Officer,
- Bernd Tauber as Obersteuermann,
- Erwin Leder as Obermaschinist,
- Martin May as Fähnrich,
- Heinz Hoenig as Maat,
- Uwe Ochsenknecht as Bootsmann,
- Jan Fedder as Maat,
- Claude-Oliver Rudolph as Ario,
- Joachim Bernhard as Bibelforscher,
- Oliver Stritzel as Schwalle,
- Jean-Claude Hoffmann as Benjamin,
- Otto Sander as Kapitänleutnant Philipp Thomsen,
- Günter Lamprecht as the Captain of the Weser.
Das Boot Trailer
Nostalghia is a Soviet-Italian film released in 1983 directed by Andrei Tarkovsky. Written by Tonino Guerra and Andrei Tarkovsky. The film is distributed in their countries gaining a maximum audience. The film has a runtime of around 120 minutes. Flim managed to gain a box office collection of around 500,000 Euros.
The story follows with the Russian writer Andrei Gorchakov making his way towards Italy to know about the life of an 18th-century Russian composer Pavel Sosnovsky. He committed suicide during his travel towards USSR. This film was one of the most-watched films in the entertainment industry. Several adventures make the film more interesting to watch. The film has managed to collect a decent box office form the international theatres
Who Are The Cast Included in Nostalghia?
- Oleg Yankovsky as Andrei Gorchakov,
- Erland Josephson as Domenico,
- Domiziana Giordano as Eugenia,
- Delia Boccardo as Zoe,
- Patrizia Terreno as Andrei’s Wife,
- Laura De Marchi as Chambermaid.
Ran is a Japanese action drama film directed, edited, and co-written by Akira Kurosawa. The film is produced by Masato Hara and Serge Silberman. The film is about the three loyal sons who respect their father’s words and instruction. Later one the son became the antagonist. The film was a Japanese-French venture produced by Herald Ace, Nippon Herald Films, and Greenwich Film Productions.
The film was released in two different countries Japan and France respectively. The film holds a runtime of around 162 minutes. The film was created with 11 million US dollars and collected 12 million US dollars. Its was one of the most celebrated Japanese films around the globe. The story of the film is simple but created a huge impact. Ran holds a special place in the entertainment industry for more than a decade. Its has become a lesson form many scriptwriters and directors in recent days.
Who Are The Cast Included In Ran
- Tatsuya Nakadai as Ichimonji Hidetora,
- Akira Terao as Ichimonji “Taro” Takatora,
- Jinpachi Nezu as Ichimonji “Jiro” Masatora,
- Daisuke Ryu as Ichimonji “Saburo” Naotora,
- Mieko Harada as Lady Kaede,
- Yoshiko Miyazaki as Lady Sué,
- Mansai Nomura as Tsurumaru,
- Hisashi Igawa as Kurogane,
- Peter as Kyoami,
- Masayuki Yui as Hirayama Tango,
- Kazuo Kato as Ikoma Kageyu,
- Jun Tazaki as Ayabe Seiji,
- Hitoshi Ueki as Fujimaki Nobuhiro.
5. 3 Supermen Against the Godfather
3 Supermen Against the Godfather is an Italian film released in 1980. The film was directed by Italo Martinenghi and produced by Türker Inanoğlu. The film explains the professor building a time machine and plans to test it with his Turkey. Professor finds out the long-lasting hidden mystery that where Byzantines hid their treasury during the Fall of Constantinople After dining the treasure the time machine become so popular.
Who Are The Cast Included in 3 Supermen Against the Godfather?
- Aldo Canti as Atak,
- Sal Borgese as Matrak,
- Cüneyt Arkın as Detective Murat/Agent Brad,
- Aldo Sambrell as Baba Jackson,
- Güngör Bayrak as Agata,
- Übsak Emre as Agata’s lover.
Qurbani is an Indian action film released in 1980. The film was produced and directed by Feroz Khan. Qurbani is an adaptation of the 1972 Italian film The Master Touch. The film was distributed by F.K. International. The film was originally released in Hindi with a runtime of 157 minutes. Qurbani was produced with a budget of 1.5 crores and successfully collected around 12 crores.
Who Are The Cast Included in Qurbani?
- Feroz Khan as Rajesh,
- Vinod Khanna as Amar,
- Zeenat Aman as Sheela,
- Amjad Khan as Police Inspector,
- Shakti Kapoor as Vikram,
- Amrish Puri as Rakka,
- Aruna Irani as Jwaala,
- Kader Khan as Joe,
- Tun Tun as Fat Woman,
- Jagdeep as Mohammad Ali,
- Dinesh Hingoo as Parsi Man,
- Viju Khote as Vikram’s Man,
- Mac Mohan as Mac.
Chithram is a Malayalam film released in 1988. Its a comedy-drama produced by P. K. R. Pillai, directed by Priyadarshan and Edited by N. Gopalakrishnan. The movie has a runtime of around 159 minutes. Chithram was developed with a production budget of 44 lakhs and managed to collect around 44 crores. It was one of the most popular o in the Indian cinema industry.
Who Are The Cast Included in Chithram
- Mohanlal as Vishnu,
- Ranjini as Kalyani,
- Nedumudi Venu as Adv.Purushothama Kaimal,
- Poornam Vishwanathan as Ramachandra Menon,
- Lissy as Revathy,
- Sreenivasan as Bhaskaran Nambiar,
- Jagadish as Vishnu’s Friend,
- Maniyanpilla Raju as Murugan,
- K. B. Ganesh Kumar as Revathy’s Brother,
- M. G. Soman as Jail Superintendent,
- Sukumari as Ramachandra Menon’s Sister and Bhaskaran Nambiar’s Mother,
- Unni Mary as Bhaskaran Nambiar’s Sister,
- Shanavas as Ravi.
8. Mouna Ragam
Mouna Ragam is a Tamil movie released in 1986. The film was directed by Mani Ratnam and produced by G. Venkateswaran. The film holds the runtime of around 145 minutes primarily released in Tamil. The movie became the sensation of the Tamil industry gaining attention from the international entertainment medium. The film got several nominations in the national film awards. Flim won the National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Tamil, and the director of the film received the Filmfare Award for Best Tamil Director.
Who Are The Cast Included in Mouna Ragam
- Mohan as Chandrakumar,
- Revathi as Divya,
- Karthik as Manohar,
- V. K. Ramasamy as Chandrakumar’s boss,
- Ra. Sankaran as Chandramouli,
- Bhaskar as Divya’s brother,
- Kanchana as the lawyer,
- Vani as Divya’s mother,
- Kalaiselvi as Divya’s sister,
- Sonia as Divya’s sister
Mouna Ragam Trailer
Mr.India is a Hindi action film directed by Shekhar Kapur, based on a screenplay written by Salim-Javed. The lead of the movie was carried out by Sridevi and Anil Kapoor. Other than the main role of the movie every character are provided with enough weightage making the film more interesting to watch. On the centenary of Indian Cinema, Mr India was included amongst one of the 100 Greatest Indian Films of All Time.
Initially, the Rajesh Khanna and Amitabh Bachchan were offered the lead role were approached for the lead role of the movie. They refused to the unavoidable circumstance. The film later became a huge hit gaming much popularity to the crew and the technicians. The movie was released on 29 May 1987 with a runtime of 179 minutes.
Who Are The Cast Included in Mr.India
- Sridevi as Seema Soni,
- Anil Kapoor as Arun Verma/Mr. India,
- Amrish Puri as Mogambo,
- Satish Kaushik as Calendar,
- Annu Kapoor as Mr Gaitonde, the Newspaper Editor,
- Sharat Saxena as Daaga,
- Ajit Vachani as Teja,
- Ashok Kumar as Professor Sinha,
- Anjan Srivastav as Baburam,
- Bob Christo as Mr Wolcott,
- Harish Patel as Roopchand,
- Karan Nath as orphan,
- Ramesh Deo as a police officer,
- Ahmed Khan as an orphan,
- Aftab Shivdasani as orphan,
- Huzaan Khodaiji as Tina,
- Sameer as Jugal.
Mr. India Trailer
10. Superman II
Superman II is a superhero subject film directed by Richard Lester and written by Mario Puzo and David and Leslie Newman. The movie is based on the DC Comics character Superman. The movie became a sensation overnight gaining much higher profit to the production. The film was released on December 4, 1980, in Australia and parts of Europe. The movie has managed to collect box-office of 190 million US dollars against a production budget of 54 million US dollars.
Who Are The Cast Included in SuperMan II
- Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor,
- Christopher Reeve as Clark Kent,
- Ned Beatty as Otis,
- Jackie Cooper as Perry White,
- Sarah Douglas as Ursa,
- Margot Kidder as Lois Lane,
- Jack O’Halloran as Non,
- Valerie Perrine as Eve Teschmacher,
- Susannah York as Lara,
- Clifton James as Sheriff,
- E.G. Marshall as the President of the United States,
- Marc McClure as Jimmy Olsen,
- Terence Stamp as General Zod.
Superman II Trailer
11. Top Gun
Top Gun is a 1986 action drama film. It was directed by Tony Scott and produced by Don Simpson and Jerry Bruckheimer. The production department of the movie was associated with Paramount Pictures. The story was written by Jim Cash along with Jack Epps based on the article titled “Top Guns” which was published in 1983. Top Gun released on May 16, 1986, has gained a positive response from critics around the globe. The movie has won many awards from the international stage. Academy Award for Best Original Song for “Take My Breath Away” performed by Berlin was one of the many awards. The sequel of the movie Top Gun: Maverick is planned to be released on December 23, 2020
Who Are The Cast Included in Top Gun
- Tom Cruise as LT Pete “Maverick” Mitchell,
- Kelly McGillis as Charlotte “Charlie” Blackwood,
- Val Kilmer as LT Tom “Iceman” Kazansky,
- Anthony Edwards as LTJG Nick “Goose” Bradshaw,
- Tom Skerritt as CDR Mike “Viper” Metcalf,
- Michael Ironside as LCDR Rick “Jester” Heatherly,
- John Stockwell as LT Bill “Cougar” Cortell,
- Barry Tubb as LTJG Henry “Wolfman” Ruth,
- Rick Rossovich as LTJG Ron “Slider” Kerner,
- Tim Robbins as LTJG Sam “Merlin” Wells,
- Clarence Gilyard as LTJG Marcus “Sundown” Williams,
- Whip Hubley as LT Rick “Hollywood” Neven,
- James Tolkan as CDR Tom “Stinger” Jardian,
- Meg Ryan as Carole Bradshaw,
- Adrian Pasdar as LT Charles “Chipper” Piper.
Top Gun Trailer
12. Adultery Tree
Adultery Tree is a Korean film released in 1985. The movie was directed and produced by Jung Jin-woo. The story of the film was written by Chi Sang-hak. Woo Jin Films Co., Ltd. holds the distribution rights of the film. Released on March 1, 1985, with a runtime of 125 minutes. Adultery Tree was awarded Best Flim at the Grand Bell Awards
Who Are The Cast Included in Adultery Tree
- Won Mi-kyung,
- Kim Yong-seon,
- Park Jung-ja,
- Kim Hee-ra,
- Jeon Moo-song,
- Choe Byeong-geun,
- Hong Seong-min,
- Lim Hae-lim,
- Choe Jae-ho,
- Park Jong-sel.
13. The Year My Voice Broke
The Year My Voice Broke is an Australian movie released in 1987. The film was written and directed by John Duigan, produced by Terry Hayes, George Miller and Doug Mitchell. Story of the movie is written by John Duigan. It was released in Australia on 17 October 1987 with a runtime of around 103 minutes. The movie was well-received by the audience soon after the launch. It has collected millions of dollars bringing huge profit to the production.
Who Are The Cast Included in The Year My Voice Broke
- Noah Taylor as Danny Embling,
- Loene Carmen as Freya Olson,
- Ben Mendelsohn as Trevor Leishman,
- Graeme Blundell as Nils Olson,
- Lynette Curran as Anne Olson,
- Malcolm Robertson as Bruce Embling,
- Judi Farr as Sheila Embling.
The Year My Voice Broke Trailer
14. The Dark Night
The Dark Night is a Spanish drama released in 1989 directed by Carlos Saura. The story focuses mainly on the Saint John of the Cross, Catholic Priest to the Counter-Reformation in solitary confinement in the Carmelite monastery in Toledo, Spain. The film is produced by Andrés Vicente Gómez. Stoy of the movie is written by Carlos Saura. The film was released on 23 February 1989 in the Spanish language with a runtime of 93 minutes. The film has collected several awards from the international stages bringing a huge profit to the development team
Who Are The Cast Included in The Dark Night?
- Juan Diego as San Juan de la Cruz,
- Fernando Guillén as Vailer,
- Manuel de Blas as Prior,
- Francisco Casares as Fray José,
- Fermí Reixach as Fray Geronimo Tostado,
- Julie Delpy as Virgin Mary,
- Abel Vitón as Fray Jacinto,
- María Elena Flores as Superiora,
- Adolfo Thous as Fray María.
15. Ginger and Fred
Ginger and Fred is a 1986 comedy/drama film directed by Federico Fellini. It was produced by Alberto Grimaldi and Heinz Bibo. American dancing couple Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers are referred to the tile of the film. The film underwent few controversies due to the trademark claim that happened around the parts of Europe. The story mainly focuses on the Amelia and Pippo were once together famous as dancers.
Couples were famous for imitation Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire dance routines. After thirty years of retirement, they once again team up in delivering the swashbuckling dance performance. This film was one of the most expected and watched films of 1986.
Who Are The Cast Included in Ginger and Fred?
- Giulietta Masina as Amelia Bonetti,
- Marcello Mastroianni as Pippo Botticella,
- Franco Fabrizi as Show host,
- Friedrich von Ledebur as Admiral Aulenti,
- Augusto Poderosi as transvestite,
- Martin Maria Blau as assistant director,
- Jacques Henri Lartigue as Brother Gerolamo,
- Totò Mignone as Totò,
- Ezio Marano as the intellectual,
- Antoine Saint-John as a bandaged man,
- Friedrich von Thun as a kidnapped tycoon,
- Antonino Iuorio as TV inspector,
- Barbara Scoppa as journalist,
- Elisabetta Flumeri as journalist,
- Salvatore Billa as Clark Gable,
- Caterina Vertova.
Ginger and Fred Trailer
Kagemusha is a Japanese film released in 1980 directed by Akira Kurosawa. Term Kagemusha is coined as denoting a political decoy. Produced by Akira Kurosawa and
Tomoyuki Tanaka. The film was released on April 26, 1980, in the Japanese language with a runtime of around 180 minutes.
Kagemusha was said that the film has collected a box office of around 4 million UD dollars. Flim managed to set the trademark for the Japanese film industry. This is regarded as one of the most-watched Japanese films of all time. The film was released in three different countries gaining a huge profit to the production. Thre countries include Japan, US and Europe.
Who Are The Cast Included in Kagemusha
- Tatsuya Nakadai as Takeda Shingen ,
- Tsutomu Yamazaki as Takeda Nobukado ,
- Kenichi Hagiwara as Takeda Katsuyori,
- Jinpachi Nezu as Tsuchiya Sohachiro,
- Hideji Ōtaki as Yamagata Masakage ,
- Daisuke Ryu as Oda Nobunaga ,
- Masayuki Yui as Tokugawa Ieyasu ,
- Kaori Momoi as Otsuyanokata ,
- Mitsuko Baisho as Oyunokata,
- Hideo Murota as Baba Nobuharu ,
- Takayuki Shiho as Naitō Masatoyo,
- Kōji Shimizu as Atobe Katsusuke,
- Noburo Shimizu as Hara Masatane,
- Sen Yamamoto as Oyamada Nobushige,
- Shuhei Sugimori as Kōsaka Masanobu,
- Takashi Shimura as Taguchi Gyobu,
- Eiichi Kanakubo as Uesugi Kenshin,
- Francis Selleck as Priest.
Platoon is an American war film released in 1986. Flim is written and directed by Oliver Stone. The film is produced by Arnold Kopelson distributed by Orion Pictures. The platoon has won many awards. The film was nominated for eight Academy Awards at the 59th Academy Awards and successfully won four including Best Picture, Best Director for Stone, Best Sound and Best Film Editing.
The movie has collected a box office of 138.5 million American dollars with a production budget of 6 million dollars. The platoon was released on December 19, 1986, in the parts of North America with a runtime of around 120 minutes.
Who Are The Cast Included in Platoon
- Charlie Sheen as Private Chris Taylor,
- Tom Berenger as Staff Sergeant Bob Barnes,
- Willem Dafoe as Sergeant Elias Grodin,
- Keith David as King,
- Forest Whitaker as Big Harold,
- Francesco Quinn as Rhah,
- Kevin Dillon as Bunny,
- John C. McGinley as Sergeant Red O’Neill,
- Reggie Johnson as Junior,
- Mark Moses as Lieutenant Wolfe,
- Corey Glover as Francis,
- Johnny Depp as Lerner,
- Chris Pedersen as Crawford
Gandhi is an epic historical drama film based on the life of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, the leader of India’s non-violent. The film was the British-Indian co-production based on the story written by John Briley and produced and directed by Richard Attenborough. The film focus on the life of Gandhi starting from the defining moment in 1893.
The film was released in three different countries like the U.K, U.S, and India with a runtime of around 191 minutes. The film collected 127 million US dollars with a production budget of 22 million dollars. The film has received several awards from international film associations.
Who Are The Cast Included in Gandhi
- Ben Kingsley as Mahatma Gandhi,
- Rohini Hattangadi as Kasturba Gandhi,
- Roshan Seth as Jawaharlal Nehru,
- Pradeep Kumar as V. K. Krishna Menon,
- Saeed Jaffrey as Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel,
- Virendra Razdan as Maulana Azad,
- Candice Bergen as Margaret Bourke-White,
- Edward Fox as Brigadier General Reginald Dyer,
- John Gielgud as the 1st Baron Irwin,
- Trevor Howard as Judge R. S. Broomfield,
- John Mills as the 3rd Baron Chelmsford,
- Shane Rimmer as Commentator,
- Martin Sheen as Vince Walker,
- Ian Charleson as Reverend Charles Freer Andrews,
- Athol Fugard as General Jan Smuts,
- Geraldine James as Mirabehn,
- Alyque Padamsee as Muhammad Ali Jinnah,
- Amrish Puri as Khan,
- Ian Bannen as Senior Officer Fields,
- Richard Griffiths as Collins,
- Nigel Hawthorne as Kinnoch.
19. Terms of Endearment
Terms of Endearment is an American comedy-drama film based on Larry McMurtry’s 1975 novel. The film was directed, written, and produced by James L. Brooks. The film focuses on the Aurora Greenway and her daughter Emma. Terms of Endearment was released in the United States with a runtime of around 132 minutes. Paramount Pictures holds the responsibility in distributing the film for various regions of different countries.
It was one of the most celebrated films during 56th Academy Awards by winning five awards. Five awards include Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Actress for MacLaine, and Best Supporting Actor for Nicholson.
Who Are The Cast Included in Terms of Endearment
- Shirley MacLaine as Aurora Greenway,
- Debra Winger as Emma Greenway-Horton,
- Jack Nicholson as Garrett Breedlove,
- Danny DeVito as Vernon Dalhart,
- Jeff Daniels as Flap Horton,
- John Lithgow as Sam Burns,
- Lisa Hart Carroll as Patsy Clark,
- Huckleberry Fox as Ted “Teddy” Horton,
- Troy Bishop as Tom “Tommy” Horton,
- Shane Sherwin as Tom “Tommy” Horton,
- Megan Morris as Melanie Horton,
- Tara Yeakey as Melanie Horton,
- Kate Charleson as Janice,
- Albert Brooks as Rudyard.
Terms of Endearment Trailer
20. The Last Emperor
The Last Emperor epic biographical drama film, directed by Bernardo Bertolucci in 1987. The movie was produced by Jeremy Thomas and released in 1987 by Columbia Pictures. The Last Emperor was one of the most celebrated dramas in the industry, It has won 9 Academy Awards which includes Best Picture and Best Director, at the 60th iteration of the event. It was launched in three different countries namely the UK, Italy and China. The film was well-received by the audience.
Flim has managed to gain a box office profit of 44 Million US dollars with a production budget of around 23 million US dollars. The Movie holds the run time of around 163 minutes. It was released in three different languages namely English, Mandarin and Japanese.
Who Are Included The Cast Included in The Last Emperor?
- John Lone as Puyi,
- Joan Chen as Wanrong,
- Peter O’Toole as Reginald Johnston,
- Ying Ruocheng as Detention Camp Governor,
- Victor Wong as Chen Baochen,
- Dennis Dun as Big Li,
- Ryuichi Sakamoto as Masahiko Amakasu,
- Maggie Han as Eastern Jewel,
- Ric Young as Interrogator,
- Wu Junmei as Wenxiu,
- Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as Chang,
- Jade Go as Ar Mo,
- Fumihiko Ikeda as Colonel Yoshioka,
- Fan Guang as Pujie,
- Henry Kyi as Pujie,
- Alvin Riley III as Pujie,
- Lisa Lu as Empress Dowager Cixi,
- Hideo Takamatsu as General Takashi Hishikari,
- Hajime Tachibana as the Japanese translator,
- Basil Pao as Prince Chun, Puyi’s father,
- Henry O as the Lord Chamberlain
The Last Emperor Trailer